This is a message from the Museumpests.net  List.
To unsubscribe look at the footer of this email.

Hi Cara,
As a previous poster noted, mothballs are usually paradichlorobenzene-PDB,
naphthalene, or a mixture and both have serious health concerns. The
objects should be isolated or kept in a well-ventilated area and clearly
labeled so people know to open them with appropriate PPE.

Below is an excerpt from the answer to a question involving textiles from
our Connecting to Collections Care webinar, "Arsenic and Old Lace:
Controlling Hazardous Collection Materials."

As a conservator, I would strongly recommend against displaying them with
other objects, even after they've been "treated," since you will likely not
be able to get all of it out and these chemicals have been shown to deposit
on other objects and storage and display cases. I would also get a health
and safety professional involved before you consider placing them I'm an
exhibit where the public may be exposed. Your best bet is to consult with
conservators there at the MFA since they are familar with health and safety
issues of exhibitions.

Kerith
Co-Chair, AIC Health & Safety Committee

https://www.connectingtocollections.org/arsenic-and-old-lace-controlling-hazardous-collection-materials/

"We are assuming “mothballs” are either paradichlorobenzene-PDB,
naphthalene, or a mixture of the two (both have serious toxicity issues).
It is impossible to tell the difference without testing. They have
different melting points, so that is one of the simplest ways to determine
which one is present. Camphor is a terpenoid that has long been used as a
pest repellant. It is toxic to people, as are almost all plant-derived
aromatics. Obviously the first item would be the physical removal of all
remaining crystals. Next, airing out of textiles or other materials,
ideally under a lab fume hood but outdoors on a breezy, moderately warm day
would help, under a small tent or some other means to protect against light
damage. The textiles should be examined carefully to be sure no pests are
present prior to rehousing. If they are to remain in the wooden storage
trunks, it can be assumed that the trunks should also be aired well –
naphthalene, PDB, and camphor will all be absorbed by the wood. The airing
is unlikely to completely clear any of these from either the textiles or
the wood, so it may be prudent to look into the use of scavengers (e.g.,
activated charcoal, MicroChamber board) and to repeat the airing annually
for a few years. To protect against pest ingress, it may also be worthwhile
to look at ways to ensure that pests cannot enter the trunks. Something as
simple as plumbers’ tape (Teflon tape available at hardware stores or sold
as Relic Wrap by conservation suppliers) might work, depending upon the
configuration of the trunks. Any additional sealing of the trunks would
reinforce the need for periodic airing and/or use of scavengers. -Catharine
Hawks with Kathryn Makos"

On Apr 26, 2017 12:54 PM, "Jablonski, Megan T CIV NHHC, NUM" <