This is a message from the Museumpests.net  List.
To unsubscribe look at the footer of this email.

Hi Jessica,

It looks like a carpet beetle, Anthrenus sp.  In a natural history museum
setting, this would be cause for a red alert as Dermestid larvae feed on animal
products, e.g. hides, furs, feathers, dried insects, pretty much anything in a
zoology collection. In an art collection, it depends on the type of materials
in your collection, but I’d say they are still cause for concern. They may have
come in on plants or through an open door. You should start monitoring
immediately to determine whether you have a one-off or a problem brewing. Start
an IPM program if there isn’t one in place. Start educating yourself on pest
management practices (or appoint someone) so you can educate other staff – if
they’ve been used to doing things one way for a long time, it may take a while
to retrain them with new habits. Get to know your facilities people and become
good friends with them!

Bug Guide is a good resource for identification. Here’s a link to the genus
Anthrenus:  http://bugguide.net/index.php?q=search&keys=anthrenus&search=Search

We have plants in our building in specific areas but do so under supervision by
our horticultural staff. Potted plants are not permitted near items from the
collections. We also have live animals and work with those staff charged with
their care to ensure that the institution’s pest management policies work for
everyone.

Dawn

Dawn Roberts | Director of Collections

The Chicago Academy of Sciences / Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum

2430 North Cannon Drive, Chicago, IL 60614 | www.naturemuseum.org

Collections Facility and Office

4001 N Ravenswood Avenue, suite 201, Chicago, IL 60613 | 773-755-5125

The Urban Gateway to Nature and Science