From: pestlist-ow...@museumpests.net [mailto:pestlist-ow...@museumpests.net] On
Behalf Of Megan Walsh
Sent: Wednesday, July 05, 2017 3:53 PM
To: pestlist@museumpests.net
Subject: RE: [pestlist] small grey insects in historic windowsill

This is a message from the Museumpests.net  List.
To post to this list send it as an email to
pestlist@museumpests.net<mailto:pestlist@museumpests.net>
To unsubscribe look at the footer of this email.
Thanks Louis!

I'm attaching a few more images: I managed to get a shot of one of them, and a
shot of the mound/nest through the microscope. I'm also attaching an image of
the pest next to a penny for scale reference; I drew a circle around the pest.
Looking at it under magnification now I think it does look like a springtail.

One of my Facilities colleagues thought it looked like a dry wood termite
(we've had infestations before, but not in that part of the house), but this
seems way too small to be a termite. What do you think?

I removed the mound and, hopefully, most of the pests. The wood underneath the
mound appeared undamaged, but there is tar paper insulation in the vents under
the window, so I wonder if that is something they would be attracted to?

Many thanks, your help is very much appreciated!
Megan