This is a message from the Museumpests.net  List.
To unsubscribe look at the footer of this email.

Casey and Matthew -
I think your suggestion that this might be a dermestid is quite reasonable,
given the compact shape and the presence of scales on the thorax and wing
cases. However this doesn't match any of the dermestids that I know, and
there are other families of beetles with scales, notably the weevils and
bark beetles (Curculionidae). In this case the asymmetric scale pattern
gave it away - most bark beetles are rather plain, but this genus has a
couple of species with such a pattern. I used an old book that I've had for
over 50 years to make the initial identification, and confirmed it with an
internet search for images of the genus. (There's a limit to what I can
keep in my head!) The other clue that I had was that Simon mentioned dozens
of beetles trying to get out. In my experience that most often results from
a mass emergence from firewood.
Tony

Dr A.G.Irwin
47 The Avenues