This is a message from the Museumpests.net  List.
To unsubscribe look at the footer of this email.

Hello Tamar,

                It certainly bears a resemblance to a clothes moth. As most
museums typically don’t de-flesh our collections I am not entirely familiar
with the cycle of insects and corpses. The fleshed bones you put into the
colony, were they fresh? Maybe something that had been sitting around for a
while outside? I have heard that after all the usual non-museum flies and
beetles get at a dead animal you’ll see things like clothes moths arrive. If
the bones were exposed and partially decomposed it’s possible that clothes moth
larva found their way onto it and are only now being noticed as they hit
adulthood. Another possibility is, if the colony isn’t sealed up, that the
larva were deposited after the bones entered the colony. Have you seen any
other clothes moth activity in the general area?

                As I don’t have any real experience with de-fleshing bones,
hopefully this helps!

William Shepherd
Collections Officer
Swift Current Museum