This is a message from the Museumpests.net  List.
To unsubscribe look at the footer of this email.

Dear Scott,

I must say that the advice from the two conservators giving the course was not very precise!! I give a lot of IPM courses in Europe and other places, and usually we get this question at every workshop, here is my standard answer:

1. Yes it is possible that we attract animals from outside, but place pheromone traps in the center of the room at least 5-10m from windows and doors to prevent this. -> easy to prevent

2. Usually sex pheromones for moths and carpet beetles will only attract the males and you need a female laying eggs to start an infestation. -> so no big problem!

3. If I have the feeling that there is a source of moths outside of the building, this is a very important information and I place one trap inside and one outside to have a reliable answer to this question. If they really come from outside (a bird nest or dead animal can be a source of the infestation) your collection inside is at risk to get infested -> get rid of the problem

4. If you use food bait for mice (or some beetles) yes you can attract animals from outside so you have to think if the information is useful and important for you.

Pheromone traps are a very important tool for the monitoring of many pests and I use hundreds for webbing clothes moths in many buildings, they collect a lot of important information’s for the IPM!!

All the best from Vienna,

Pascal

CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED

Good morning. I work for the US Army at one of their museums and we use pheromone pest control traps, especially for carpet beetles. One of my staff was at a US Army museums course two weeks ago and was told by two conservators that all pheromone traps must be removed from all Army museums as they lure bugs in from outside with the pheromone - like through doors and windows. They stated that it attracts more insects in to the buildings and makes it more difficult to control pests (we have these pheromone traps as well as ground traps near doors and windows to catch anything coming in - no carpet beetles in the floor traps but we do get a couple in the pheromone traps). I have never heard of this happening before and wanted to check to see anyone has heard of this or knew approximately how far one of the pheromone traps "odor" went out from the trap. I just can't see that one of these small traps can lure insects through doors and walls like the two conservators stated. Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Scott A. Neel, PhD

Director / Curator

Fort Sill National Historic Landmark and Museum

US Army Fires Center of Excellence

372 Gannahl Road

Fort Sill, OK 73503

Office: 580-442-6570

Fax: 580-442-0552

Website: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__sill-2Dwww.army.mil_museum_&d=DwIGaQ&c=o14_68DQy6cMJf5D8ZSrZQ&r=h76q8gSEGveT_ArI6lhAokkItVFZcy_coqmo_UG_Ha8&m=0OBHW9YpYiFvGakDNIa6ni3MRohiGpDHHXMOFqI93Nc&s=fUw1bNv8j_qKJu9vhMDvpwrncaC2I-G9qNKNwRKCb2Y&e=

Facebook: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.facebook.com_pages_Fort-2DSill-2DNational-2DHistoric-2DLandmark-2Dand&d=DwIGaQ&c=o14_68DQy6cMJf5D8ZSrZQ&r=h76q8gSEGveT_ArI6lhAokkItVFZcy_coqmo_UG_Ha8&m=0OBHW9YpYiFvGakDNIa6ni3MRohiGpDHHXMOFqI93Nc&s=-1mwzgZbVQQtQoLPOjLD6FsEp34jkJsjEGDH8HH0pbs&e= Museum/368889589827678

CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED

email to l...@zaks.com and ask to be

removed.

Any problems email l...@zaks.com

--

Laura Russman, MA
Curator of Collections

Discover what matters. And build your life around it.
aurora.edu | facebook.com/aurorauniversity | twitter.com/aurorau | instagram.com/aurorauniversity