On 17 October 2016 at 21:41, Jonathan Steel via Peterboro <
peterboro@mailman.lug.org.uk> wrote:

> On Mon 17 Oct 2016 at 20:12, Russell Armstong via Peterboro wrote:
> > Another option is syncthing which looks to do same thing and is open
> > source. I will be looking at this to see if it can replace Resilio Sync
> for
> > us.
>
> +1 for syncthing;

+1 for both Resilio Sync and SyncThing, and least in principle. I never got
the latter to work properly for me but it is FOSS so should definitely be
the place to start. Resilio Sync on the other hand just works and has lots
of features which might be useful which I don't know if they're available
on SyncThing yet (I haven't tried it in well over a year and it was
developing quite fast). I'd love to hear the experiences of anyone trying
syncthing now.

One thing in Resilio that might be useful is encrypted sync folders. Eg
your family member has their folder unencrypted on their PC(s), but the
sync-ed version on your PC is encrypted, so its their backup and you don't
have access to the files, you're just hosting them.

The reason I ended up with Reslio not Syncthing was I couldn't get the
latter to reliably sync between home (NAT) networks without poking holes in
firewalls, something which Resilio never blinked at. Like I said, it's
probably moved on since I last looked though.

The negative for Resilio is that it isn't FOSS, and they have shifted the
goalposts over the years in terms of what you get for free (as in beer).
For home use even the paid version isn't that expensive, but as far as
licensing is concerned, knowing where you stand now is where you'll stand
in a year or three is a big feature that Syncthing has that Resilio doesn't.

A word of warning though: make sure you understand the difference between
having a copy and having a backup. If the precious files are synchronised
between multiple PCs on multiple sites then you're protected against
hardware failure, house fires, theft, etc. On the other hand, if you
accidentally edit or delete a file, or get a virus that encrypts everything
and holds you to ransom, then having the edit/delete/encrypt mirrored
seamlessly across all your systems is exactly what you don't want to
happen. Make sure that the sync is configured to keep old versions of files
or that you are doing something else to back them up (I use rsnapshot for
that personally).