Barry,

I agree that perhaps we don't need to try to get this in the release, but I
think that what this is targeting (processors with wide enough SIMD lanes
for this to matter) are becoming more common, and that therefore this is
becoming less special purpose. The recently released ("Skylake") Intel Xeon
server chips have introduced 512 bit vector instructions ("AVX512"), so I
consider this to have gone mainstream at this point -- it's no longer
restricted to the relatively small market that Intel's Knights Landing
chips were targeting. (Also, it will likely be supported by Intel basically
forever -- they *never* remove support for instructions that have been
introduced for their mainstream CPUs.) I also think it likely that other
CPU manufacturers will follow suit.

I don't think we need to delay a release to get the ELL format in, but I do
think that we should get this merged into master sooner rather than later.
I think having things like this in the main line of PETSc development is 1)
actually useful to some people trying to do computing on cutting-edge CPUs
and 2) helps dispel the myth that "PETSc doesn't care about novel
architectures" that I sometimes see propagated (by people pointing to
things like our rejection of threading within PETSc as "evidence").

--Richard