Hi Jonathan,

thanks for your message and the pointer.

The incomplete factorizations have been around for a while, and with recent hardware they tend to be less competitive (note that they use a Tesla 2050 in their benchmarks, which is ~7 years old).

The fine-grained parallel version here:
 http://epubs.siam.org/doi/abs/10.1137/140968896
is an attractive alternative (and available in the master-branch of PETSc through ViennaCL), yet it also has drawbacks.

Best regards,
Karli