On 3/2/18 12:44 PM, Matthew Knepley wrote:
On Fri, Mar 2, 2018 at 2:39 PM, Jed Brown <j...@jedbrown.org <mailto:j...@jedbrown.org>> wrote:

    Matthew Knepley <knep...@gmail.com <mailto:knep...@gmail.com>> writes:

     > That is not the same as printing unused arguments. Michael's Pythia
     > does this correctly, but it is even less simple.

    You want it to accept the unused arguments and just print them without
    error, or some more subtle relationship among dependent options?

Yes, I do. I consider PETSc to have the correct functionality. The open world assumption is a good one, as long as you report that no one accepted that option.

https://docs.python.org/3/library/argparse.html#partial-parsing

Requires Python > 2.7

   Matt

       We're
    here in a thread about not silently accepting options that *don't
    exist anywhere*.

-- Norbert Wiener

Tech-X Corporation               kru...@txcorp.com
5621 Arapahoe Ave, Suite A       Phone: (720) 974-1841
Boulder, CO 80303                Fax:   (303) 448-7756