> 2. 7. 2018 v 16:38, Matthew Knepley <knep...@gmail.com>:
>
> On Mon, Jul 2, 2018 at 9:33 AM Vaclav Hapla <vaclav.ha...@erdw.ethz.ch
> <mailto:vaclav.ha...@erdw.ethz.ch>> wrote:
>

>> 2. 7. 2018 v 15:50, Matthew Knepley <knep...@gmail.com
>> <mailto:knep...@gmail.com>>:
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 2, 2018 at 8:28 AM Vaclav Hapla <vaclav.ha...@erdw.ethz.ch
>> <mailto:vaclav.ha...@erdw.ethz.ch>> wrote:
>>> 2. 7. 2018 v 15:05, Matthew Knepley <knep...@gmail.com
>>> <mailto:knep...@gmail.com>>:

>>> I meant hierarchies of typically Mats or PCs, where you don't define any
>>> custom operations but compose together existing types (which should be

>>> Its not enough to make separate stages for additive MC, multiplicative MC,
>>> and MT? If you want stages for every single
>>> combination created dynamically, you can push another stage when each of
>>> these combinations is created using GetTag()
>>> or something like that. You could switch between these behaviors with an
>>> option.
>>
>> I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean registering and pushing/popping these
>> stages in the user's code? You can surely call PetscStageLogRegister
>> somewhere after PetscInitialize, but where do you place your
>> PetscStageLogPush/Pop calls?
>>
>> No. You would create a stage when the MATCOMPOSITE is created (or once when
>> any MATCOMPOSITE is created), and push/pop
>> on application.
>
> There's surely no problem with creating that stage. But still I don't see how
> can you push/pop on specific MatMult if it's aggregated together with another
> MatMults in a higher level MatMult without redefining the latter? And there
> can be arbitrary number of such levels. If you push/pop your stage in the
> code calling the top-level MatMult, you can't distinguish different MatMults
> occurring inside.
>
> I do not understand what you mean. Each operation would happen in a separate
> stage. Its time for a specific, simple example
> where you think this would break. This could be coded in 10 minutes.

OK, now I got you. But I didn't mean creating a bunch of tests for any possible
hierarchy and running them just to get the separated time. I hoped that any
hierarchy specifiable just from options could be flexibly reflected in log view
without any coding, additionally with realistic times and counts.

I see a lot of possible benefits. Within PETSc, it's not that obvious with
MatMult but think of PCSetUp, PCApply, KSPSetUp, KSPSolve. Think of your talk's
slide-wide example of composed KSPs and PCs specified just from options. Don't
you really think it would be nice to be able to get separated counts, times,
flops, MPI messages and so on per user-specified stages flexibly?

In my opinion, flexibility of the log view lags behind the flexibility of
always advertised composable solvers. With my proposal, you would get it just
by specifying -log_view_by_prefix.

> And I don't understand what's in this context the advantage of using stages
> (which are typically registered by user and from his perspective they are
> generally spanning multiple different operations/function calls) against
> events which are precisely meant for single operations/function calls (at
> least I hope so based on thousands of use cases in PETSc itself).
>
> Events are semantically associated with given operations. Stages are
> semantically associated with the context of an operation.
> So defining a bunch of events for MatMult does not make sense to me, whereas
> defining a bunch of stages for different MatMults
> definitely does.
>
> You want me to create a stage which is shorter than then the wrapping event
> which is I think much uglier than what I propose :-)
>
> I don't. I think it follows exactly the toplevel design.

OK, I really don't like it but don't want to argue about aesthetics. But a hard
argument can be e.g. that only one stage can be active at a time (hence
Push/Pop name) so what I wanted to have is simply not doable your way. From
this reason there's probably no hard-wired stage anywhere in PETSc.

Vaclav