Richard,

    The problem is that OpenMP is too large and has too many different
programming models imbedded in it (and it will get worse) to "support OpenMP"
from PETSc.

    One way to use #pragma based optimization tools (which is one way to  treat
OpenMP) is to run the application code in a realistic size problem, using the
number of threads/MPI process they prefer with profiling and begin adding
#pragmas to the most time consuming code fragments/routines, measuring the
(small) improvement in performance as they are added. This is the way I would
proceed. The branch generated will not have very many pragmas in it so would
likely be acceptable to be included into PETSc. It would also give a
quantitative measure of the possible performance with the #prama approach.

   Note: that for BLAS 1 operations likely the correct thing to do is turn on
MKL BLAS threading (being careful to make sure the number of threads MKL uses
matches that used by other parts of the code). This way we don't need to OpenMP
optimize many parts of PETSc's vector operations (norm, dot, scale, axpy). In
fact, this is the first thing Mark should do, how much does it speed up the
vector operations?

  The problem is how many ECP applications actually use OpenMP just as a
#pragma optimization tool, or do they use other features of OpenMP. For example
I remember Brian wanted to/did use OpenMP threads directly in BoxLib and didn't
just stick to the #pragma model. If they did this then we would need custom
PETSc to match their model.

  Barry