> On Dec 3, 2018, at 4:49 PM, Ali Reza Khaz'ali <arkhaz...@cc.iut.ac.ir> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I think that the topic is more suited for PETSc-developers than its users;
> therefore, I move it to the dev list.
>
> Continuing the discussion on implementing a variable-block size BILU
> preconditioner, would it be possible to change the block size parameter (bs)
> on BAIJ format such that it can handle variable block sizes? (i.e., instead
> of it being a scalar, it can be an array). Although BILU does not necessarily
> require rectangular blocks, I think, it leads to less         messy code.

   That is an alternative to using the AIJ format. The problem with this
approach is you will need to write a lot of code for the variable block size
BAIJ; MatSetValues_SeqVBAIJ, MatMult_SeqVBAIJ, etc etc. While if you reuse the
AIJ you only need to write new factorization and solve routines (much less
code).

> Also, being a newbie on PETSc code, I do not understand some parts of the
> code, especially distributed matrix storage and some of the implemented
> numerical algorithms. Is there any reference that I can use for this?

   There is a little discussion at the end chapters of the users manual, plus
you should read the developers manual. But there is not a lot of detail except
in the actual code.

    Barry