Hi Stefano,

I have just noticed we have different occurrences of the valid_GPU_matrix flag in src/mat/interface and src/mat/utils I think that how they are used now is wrong, as they assume that all those operations can only be executed on the CPU, irrespective of the specific type. Is there any plan to fix this? If not, I can take care of it, I am currently writing a dense matrix for CUDA here https://bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc/branch/stefano_zampini/cuda

there is going to be a major reorganization of the GPU code over the next few weeks, cf.
 https://bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc/issues/322/working-group-gpus
This, however, is pretty much orthogonal to your development of a dense matrix type. Once your branch is ready, it can be rather easily adopted.

As for the valid_GPU_matrix flag: This will be fixed alongside the the GPU reorganization. However, it might take 2-3 weeks until I finally get to that part. I guess you will need it sooner?

Best regards,
Karli