> Am 23.04.2021 um 04:45 schrieb Barry Smith <bsm...@petsc.dev>:
>

>    I can edit documentation pages directly from the page now, this is totally
> awesome but I see no button to comment or ask questions on a page.
>
>    I think every page should, by the edit button, have a "Comment, ask
> questions" button that anyone can click on to make a comment or ask a
> question about the page. It would be super fantastic if they could refer to
> particular people in their comments but perhaps that is too difficult.

>     For example I am looking at
> https://petsc.gitlab.io/-/petsc/-/jobs/1204309863/artifacts/public/overview/features.html
>
> <https://petsc.gitlab.io/-/petsc/-/jobs/1204309863/artifacts/public/overview/features.html>
>  and I immediately want to ask
>
>     Where is the TS solver table in the list of solver tables?
>
>     Barry
>
>     Note the pre-historic PETSc html manual pages which everyone despises
> have a button in the upper right hand corner to report problems/ask questions
> so what I am asking for is not unprecedented. Our old code uses email which
> is not ideal but not ideal is better than not. Surely modern systems like
> Sphinx have this support built in?

I think the intended way to do this with our Sphinx template would be to add
custom HTML templates, which can then be added to the sidebar.
https://pydata-sphinx-theme.readthedocs.io/en/latest/user_guide/sections.html#add-your-own-html-templates-to-theme-sections

 I'm worried that this involves too much scripting and customization, though.
For example here's the way the "edit this page" link is done:
https://github.com/pydata/pydata-sphinx-theme/blob/master/pydata_sphinx_theme/_templates/edit-this-page.html

Doesn't seem too bad but it relies on a pretty big chunk of Python as well:
https://github.com/pydata/pydata-sphinx-theme/blob/master/pydata_sphinx_theme/__init__.py#L438

<https://github.com/pydata/pydata-sphinx-theme/blob/master/pydata_sphinx_theme/__init__.py#L438>

I'll open an issue on this, though, since it's entirely possible that someone
else (or me, later) will think of a simple way to make this work, as it would
indeed be a great feature.