If you plan to use windows recommend mpich1 as this is what PETSc is
usually tested with [as far as installation is concerned].

http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/mpi/mpich1/mpich-nt/

Configure will automatically look for it - and use it.

The scalability depends upon the OS, MPI impl and MemoryBandwidh
numbers for this hardware. Don't know enough about the OS & MPI part -
but the MemoryBandwidh part is easy to check based on the hardware you
have. [The new core duo chips appear to have high memory bandwidth
numbers - so I think it should scale well]

But you should be concerned about this only for performance measurents
- but not during development. [You can install MPI on a single cpu
machine and use PETSc on it - for development]

Satish