On 29 Jul 2014, at 13:37, Jed Brown <j...@jedbrown.org> wrote:

> Please always use "reply-all" so that your messages go to the list.

Sorry, fat-fingered the buttons.

> Lawrence Mitchell <lawrence.mitch...@imperial.ac.uk> writes:

>>> What interpolation is being used?  The finite-element embedding should
>>> work well.
>>
>> Coarse to fine is just identity. Fine to coarse a lumped L2 projection.
>
> By "identity", do you mean in terms of continuous functions (the
> finite-element embedding) or something on C-points?  Fine-to-coarse is
> generally taken to be the transpose of the natural prolongation, which
> is integration.

So my coarse space is spanned by the fine one, so I copy coarse dofs to the
corresponding fine ones and then linearly interpolate to get the coefficient
value at the missing fine dofs.

>> Switching from GMRES to CG has no real effect. However bumping the number of
>> iterations used for eigenvalue estimation from 10 to 20 on the finest grid
>> gives me much better convergence on 2 processes. With fewer iterations the
>> largest eigenvalue estimate gets stick around 1, once I jump to 20 it goes
>> up to around 1.33, more in line with the exact 1.39.
>>
>> So this looks to be the original culprit. Thanks.
>
> It's odd for the estimates to require that many iterations unless the
> RHS is somehow degenerate.  I was hoping that a random right hand side
> would excite the higher mode sooner.

I had another look and it turns out this does work, I was driving the options
database incorrectly the first time round.  I needed to run with both
estimate_eigenvalues and estimate_eigenvalues_random.

If I run with:

-pc_type mg -ksp_max_it 6 -pc_mg_levels 2 -ksp_monitor
-mg_levels_1_ksp_chebyshev_estimate_eigenvalues_random
-mg_levels_1_ksp_chebyshev_estimate_eigenvalues

Then I get decent estimation of the higher modes and good convergence.

Thanks,

Lawrence