Thanks Barry for your answer !

I guess my concern is of the second type:
By grid metric terms I meant essentially grid spacings which look like:
dx(i,j), dy(i,j) and dz(k) where (i,j,k) are indices running along the 3 dimensions of the grid. Storing dx(i,j) into a 3D array seemed like a bit waste of memory to me but I must be wrong. The elliptic problem I am solving for is close to a poisson equation btw.
I guess I can at least store dx and dy into a single dxy 3D array.

Thanks again,

Aurelien