Fande,

  What SNES method are you using?  If you use SNESKSPONLY I think it is ok, it
will solve for the norm minimizing least square solution during the one
KSPSolve() and then return.

  Yes, if you use SNESNEWTONLS or others though the SNES solver will, as you
say, think that progress has not been made.

   I do not like what you propose to do, changing the right hand side of the
system the user provides is a nasty and surprising side effect.

    What is your goal? To make it look like the SNES system has had a residual
norm reduction?

   We could generalize you question and ask what about solving for nonlinear
problems: find the minimal norm solution of min_x || F(x) - b||. This may or
may not belong in Tao, currently SNES doesn't do any kind of nonlinear least
squares.

  Barry