> This is probably a better choice than Cygwin going forward.
>
> https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/commandline/wsl/about
>
> I don't know to what extent PETSc users have experimented with this
> feature, but it should make it easier to build and distribute PETSc.
We have tried this in Mainz, and PETSc (with MUMPS/SUPERLU_DIST/mpich) compiles
out of the box with the new command-line option under windows 10.
It’s not as fast as linux/mac, but does the job

This won’t make me give up my mac yet, but windows seems to head in the right
direction.

Boris

Boris J.P. Kaus

Institute of Geosciences,
Center for Computational Sciences &
Center for Volcanoes and Atmosphere in Magmatic Open Systems
Johannes Gutenberg University of Mainz, Mainz, Germany
Office:         00-285
Tel:            +49.6131.392.4527

http://www.geo-dynamics.eu