I'm not familiar with that paper so I am not sure if it produces exactly the
same colorings. It is based on the same principle. The coloring is done in
/src/dm/impls/da/fdda.c DMCreateColoring_DA_3d_MPIAIJ() so you could compare.
Note if they have more efficient special cases in the paper they could be added
to the code without too much difficulty.

   Barry