I am not an expert in contour integral eigensolvers. I think difficulties come
with corners, so ellipses are the best choice. I don't think ring regions are
relevant here.

Have you considered using ScaLAPACK. Some time ago we were able to address
problems of size up to 400k   https://doi.org/10.1017/jfm.2016.208

Jose