hi,

One of the users of my PETSc-based code has reported that HDF5 output files can be corrupted and unusable if e.g. the run is killed. I've just done a bit of reading about this and it appears to be a known issue with HDF5.

Some people suggest flushing the HDF5 file periodically to help prevent data loss. I had a look at PetscViewerFlush() but it doesn't seem to be implemented for the HDF5 viewer- is that correct?

I am currently calling PetscViewerHDF5Open() once at the start of the run and closing it at the end. Some other people suggest doing this before and after each write instead. Is there likely to be a significant performance penalty in doing that?

I gather HDF5 journaling has been promised for a while to get around this problem but as far as I can see it hasn't materialised yet...

Regards, Adrian

--
Dr Adrian Croucher
Senior Research Fellow