Indeed, this is exactly how we do quasistatic analysis for solid mechanics in
Ratel (https://gitlab.com/micromorph/ratel) -- make sure to choose an L-stable
integrator (backward Euler being the most natural choice). Implicit dynamics
can be done by choosing a suitable integrator, like TSALPHA2, with almost no
code change to the residual (only adding the mass term in DMTSSetI2Function()).