Were you able to try Jacob's fix - so you could build with cxx?

Wrt building external pkgs - one way:

- first build pkgs:
./configure PETSC_ARCH=arch-pkgs --prefix=$HOME/soft/petsc-pkgs --with-cc=icc
--with-cxx=icpc --with-fc=ifort --download-mpich --download-suitesparse

- now build PETSc with these pkgs
./configure PETSC_ARCH=arch-mybuild --with-mpi-dir=$HOME/soft/petsc-pkgs
--with-cxx=0

[can't use --with-suitesparse-dir here - due to cxx dependencies within
configure - but you disable this dependency check in configure - by commenting
out one line of code]

Wrt configure options used - they are listed in configure.log - also in - for
ex:

[balay@pj01 petsc]$ ls arch-linux-c-debug/externalpackages/*/*petsc*
arch-linux-c-debug/externalpackages/git.sowing/sowing.petscconf

Satish