I think random matrices will produce misleading results. The chance of randomly
generating a matrix that resembles an application is effectively zero. I think
you'd be better off with some model problems varying parameters that control
the physical regime (e.g., shifts to a Laplacian, advection with/without
upwinding at varying cell Peclet numbers, varying nondimensional parameters,
time step, and boundary layers for fluids, varying Poisson ratio and material
contrast in elasticity).