Jacob Faibussowitsch <jacob....@gmail.com> writes:

> More generally, it would be interesting to know the breakdown of installed
> CUDA versions for users. Unlike compilers etc, I suspect that cluster admins
> (and those running on local machines) are much more likely to be updating
> their CUDA toolkits to the latest versions as they often contain critical
> performance improvements.

One difference is that some sites (not looking at you at all, ALCF) still run
pretty ancient drivers and/or have broken GPU-aware MPI with all but a specific
ancient version of CUDA (OLCF, LLNL). With a normal compiler, you can choose to
use the latest version, but with CUDA, people are firmly stuck on old versions.