I assume you're working with a DA, in which case you can write in HDF5 format
and add an Xdmf header so Paraview can read it. The utility
lib/petsc/bin/petsc_gen_xdmf.py should be able to handle it.

I haven't written support for it (my problems are unstructured so I've focused
on DMPlex), but the CGNS format supports structured meshes and that would be an
efficient parallel format that doesn't need a header.