One option is to form the preconditioner using the FV1 method, which is sparser and satisfies h-ellipticity, while using FV2 for the residual and (optionally) for matrix-free operator application. FV1 is a highly diffusive method so in a sense,
ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerStart
This Message Is From an External Sender

ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerEnd
One option is to form the preconditioner using the FV1 method, which is sparser and satisfies h-ellipticity, while using FV2 for the residual and (optionally) for matrix-free operator application.

FV1 is a highly diffusive method so in a sense, it's much less faithful to the physics and (say, in the case of fluids) similar to a much lower-Reynolds number (if you use a modified equation analysis to work out the effective Reynolds number in the presence of the numerical diffusion).

It's good to put some thought into your choice of limiter. Note that intersection of second order and TVD methods leads to mandatory nonsmoothness (discontinuous derivatives).