Trying to set up a new fiber connection to my telco on my OpenBSD
routerbox (this is an OLD box with OpenBSD 3.8 on it...sorry). I can't
put the new telco connection live as the default yet, because it will
affect all users, and I need to do some testing first. But I'm not
quite sure I (a) understand if I've got PPPoE set up correctly, or (b)
if I do but my existing firewall rules are affecting the test. In any
case, I can't get it to work.

I have a simple, standard PPPoE setup using XL2 as the outbound
interface. (The existing outbound interface is over xl0.) Remember
that "0.0.0.1" is supposed to be a placeholder in pppoe(4) for
"replace with whatever gets sent down to you when the PPPoE
negotiation is complete".

# more hostname.xl2
up

# more hostname.pppoe0
pppoedev xl2
!/sbin/ifconfig xl2 up
!/usr/sbin/spppcontrol \$if myauthproto=chap myauthname...@me.net
myauthkey=xxxxxx
!/sbin/ifconfig \$if inet 0.0.0.0  0.0.0.1 netmask 0xffffffff
#########!/sbin/route add default 0.0.0.1  <--- commented out for now
because I don't want it to be the default
up

# ifconfig (edited)
xl2: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        lladdr 00:xx:04:81:39:50
        media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX full-duplex)
        status: active
pppoe0: flags=8850<POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1492
        dev: xl2 state: session
        sid: 0xa2e9 PADI retries: 1 PADR retries: 0 time: 00:00:27
        groups: pppoe
        inet 0.0.0.0 --> 0.0.0.1 netmask 0xffffffff

So far so good...but when I try to add a single route to a single host
to test it, I get...:

# route add 69.17.116.121 pppoe0
route: writing to routing socket: Network is unreachable
add host 69.17.116.121: gateway pppoe0: Network is unreachable

So I though maybe I needed to add some firewall rules, even though
pf.conf currently doesn't mention xl2 and pppoe0. So I added:

# more
test.pppoe.conf
pass in quick on xl2 from any to any
pass out quick on xl2 from any to any
pass in quick on pppoe0 from any to any
pass out quick on pppoe0 from any to any
# pfctl -f test.pppoe.conf
#

Still no joy. Am I not understanding something basic here? (Likely.)
Point me in the right direction...?

thank
/TSG/