On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 09:15:11AM -0800, Brian Keefer wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-03-09 at 07:06, Todd T. Fries wrote:
> > Not when you're working on a system that is being attacked with packets
> > with source ip's in the list.
> >
> > In my opinion anyway.
>
> Well, as long as you're using anti-spoof packets can't bounce through to
> your internal network segments using your own address space, so that's
> the most important part...  filtering out bogons is really just to cut
> down on chaff a little bit.
>
> Henning is right, though:  unless you're updating regularly it's a Bad
> Thing(tm) because IANA can and does allocate those IPs (last time was in
> January).  Team Cymru specifically updates their list often, which is
> why I wrote my script (it will remove IPs from my <bogon> table if
> they've been allocated).

The best sollution is to have a full view (with no default route) via bgp
and use no-route. So you get a auto-update bogon filter. It is more
accurate than those lists because it is live and knows about the not
announced but IANA allocated blocks.

I know not everybody has a bgp session running on the firewall.

--
:wq Claudio