Hi Rick,

On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 12:06:54PM -0600, Rick Barter wrote:

> Okay.  I have a problem that I can't get my brain around and I need
> some help.  My wife needs to connect to her VPN at work.  I've
> captured packets for her connection and see that it's connecting to
> her work server on ports 53 (dns) and 500 (isakmp).
[...]
> I thought that since she was initiating the connections to port 53 and
> 500 that the keep state entries on the outbound tcp and udp traffic
> would be enough to ensure she could connect and wouldn't require me to
> set up NAT for these connections.  Am I wrong?  What am I missing here?

According to your pf.conf, your TCP/UDP outbond connections are nated.

To use VPN IPsec client with a NAT gateway like yours, VPN client must
use NAT-Traversal (ESP packets encapsulation in UDP packets on port
4500). And the IPsec gateway of your wife at work must also support
NAT-Traversal.

What is the IPsec client used by your wife and the IPsec gateway
implementation used at her work ?

SSH Sentinel and Safenet SoftRemote are commercial VPN clients that
supports NAT-Traversal. isakmpd supports also NAT-Traversal since
OpenBSD version 3.6 :-)

A++ Foxy

--
Laurent Cheylus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> OpenPGP ID 0x5B766EC2