> >       Does packet filter allow you to load external files?  More
> > specifically, could one place macro definitions in a separate file, but
> > hook them up to pf.conf so as you reload the pf.conf file you get your
> > macros?  Thank you!

Quoting http://www.openbsd.org/faq/pf/anchors.html:

The load rule causes pfctl to populate the specified anchor by reading
rules from a text file. The load rule must be placed after the anchor
rule. Example:

    anchor goodguys
    load anchor goodguys from "/etc/anchor-goodguys-ssh"

To add rules to an anchor using pfctl, the following type of command
can be used:

    # echo "pass in proto tcp from 192.0.2.3 to any port 22" \
       | pfctl -a goodguys -f -

> Another way is to use m4, make, or even a shell/perl script:
>    #!/bin/sh
>    TMP=`mktemp`
>
>    for file in macros norm queue nat rules; do
>       cat /etc/pf/$file >> $TMP
>    done
>
>    pfctl -nf $TMP && mv $TMP /etc/pf.conf

Or you can pipe it directly, without creating a /tmp race:

cat /etc/pf/* | pfctl -nf -

I highly encourage you to script it... much more flexible.
You can create rules programmatically.
--
http://www.lightconsulting.com/~travis/  -><-
"We already have enough fast, insecure systems." -- Schneier & Ferguson