On 12/13/05, Daniel Hartmeier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Insertion and
> removal of state entries is costly, if you set pf up to insert a state
> for every single SYN and remove one for every single RST, you're exposing
> yourself to a DoS attack where an attacker floods you with SYNs and
> RSTs like that.

This reminds me, one company I worked for got SYN flooded, and thus
started dropping SYNs.  So they enabled Linux SYN cookies, which
involve an MD5 computation for each SYN it receives, and that
succeeded in making the machines completely unresponsive, even to
traffic on other ports like TCP/22.  Apparently it's a bad idea to
compute MD5 in kernel space on old Linux kernels (non-preemptible) for
every SYN you receive.
--
http://www.lightconsulting.com/~travis/  -><- P=NP if (P=0 or N=1)
"My love for mathematics is like 1/x as x approaches 0."