> Tr0go wrote:
> >
> > table <bruteforce> persist
<...>
> > BUT, surprisingly at some time the table
> > "self cleaned"

  nahh, you reloaded pf :)  that's how this happens to
  everyone i've run across, myself included.

> > "persist" keyword should keep all those enemys' IP
> > until next reboot, isn'it ?

  no.

  you are not the first one to think 'persist' means
  'immutable no matter what'.  that bit me in the ass
  a few times.

  all 'persist' does is makes that table stay populated
  even if there is no rule that makes reference to
  the table.  it's pretty clear when you go back and
  read the manpage... :/

  in my case, i had read about 'persist', put it in as
  a rule of thumb, and not had to worry about it;
  since i never really needed to use it for its intended
  purpose, i believe my perception of the meaning of
  'persist' mutated to be what i wanted it to really
  mean; which is what you thought up there too..

  so far, i've seen people populate tables from a file
  which they write to however often to keep it up to date,
  and i've seen people write 'reload-pf' scripts who
  take certain tables, copy the contents out to
  $WHATEVER, reload the ruleset, and then repopulate
  the tables after the pfctl -f is done.

--

  jared

[ openbsd 3.9-beta GENERIC ( jan 30 ) // i386 ]