On Tue, Jun 27, 2006 at 02:38:06PM -0500, Travis H. wrote:
> There's some discussion there as to the wisdom of this, since scans
> are trivially spoofed, it could lead to a DoS.

I'm usually on the side against blocking. My reasons, more or less in
order:

* It wastes time and resources
* Possible DoS situations
* It's ineffective (see below)

Anyone really serious about getting into your site probably will be
scanning with a botnet. You can block 30 machines, but they still find
out what they wanted to know and use yet other machines to mount their
attacks.

I have not been attacked, but I've seen the onslaught of botnet scans
(scans of a certain type occuring within a short time from diverse
places).

My conclusion is that your time is best spent securing the network and
individual boxes, and less time blocking drive by shooters (who won't be
back anyway). YMMV.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]   |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/
http://www.stilyagin.com/  |