On 7/14/06, Michal Soltys <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Recently I've been writing rules for small router (2 internal interfaces, 1
external, few services running).  I've just set 1 queue for the whole
inbound (1 mbit) on internal interface, so it won't get stalled by other
traffic from int. net to the server itself. Essentially:

altq on $if_100 cbq bandwidth 100Mb queue { if100_extbulk, \
        if100_misc, if100_ack, ... other queues }

I can't parse this.  If the traffic is to the server, it will be inbound.
Queuing works on outbound traffic.  They are distinct, and don't
interact in full-duplex mode.

Or are you talking about doing this on your external interface?

But then I recalled the 2nd example from PF faq, that actually used
subqueues to shape traffic of inbound traffic. But ... they all had 'borrow'
option - does it even have a chance to work as intended this way ?

What do you mean?

If the max bandwidth isn't being used, then any one subqueue can
borrow from the others, until they need it.

Am I thinking right ?

Can't tell, your post is lacking a lot of detail.
--
``I am not a pessimist.  To perceive evil where it exists is, in my
opinion, a form of optimism.'' -- Roberto Rossellini