On Wed, Aug 16, 2006 at 08:33:10PM -0700, George Pontis wrote:

> #
> # route packets from any IPs on $ext_if1 to $ext_gw1 and the same for
> ext_if2 to ext_gw2
> #
> pass out on $ext_if2 route-to ($ext_if1 $ext_gw1) from $ext_if1 to any flags
> S/SA keep state
> pass out on $ext_if1 route-to ($ext_if2 $ext_gw2) from $ext_if2 to any flags
> S/SA keep state
>
> There must be something about my understanding of how packets are routed
> that is at the root of the problem. I say that
> since the packets that are dropped are being routed out ext_if1 in
> contradiction to the route-to ext_if2 option.
> How can I express the logic in pf that will ensure that all the traffic for
> a specific LAN host will always route
> through a specific interface, no matter what is in the system routing tables
> ?

Your two rules above only re-route packets with source addresses
$ext_if1 and $ext_if2. "A specific LAN host" would only have such a
source address if you were using NAT. You have given no indication of
whether you are, and what your NAT rules are...

How else would packets from a LAN host have one of the firewall's own IP
addresses as source address? Or what did you think "from $ext_if1"
meant?

Daniel