From: owner...@benzedrine.cx [mailto:owner...@benzedrine.cx] On Behalf Of
Alvaro Mantilla Gimenez
Sent: Saturday, December 19, 2009 12:28 PM
To: Justin Krejci
Cc: 'Karl O. Pinc'; pf@benzedrine.cx
Subject: RE: Restricting source with dDNS (dynamic DNS)

On Sat, 2009-12-19 at 06:05 -0600, Justin Krejci wrote:
> While also not what the OP specifically requested but a good option to
> consider in general is to use the overload option to allow PF to
dynamically
> add abusing IPs to a table which is then blocked from ssh access. This is
> more for frequent TCP connections on port 22 (or any other) for brute
force
> type activity. This is similar to but not the same as the fail2ban type
> scripts.
>
> I get about 5-10 IP's added to my block table every day which is cleared
> daily via cron.

Yes, that is a good option but it is not the purpose of the discussion.
He wants to have the ssh port closed and open the ports in a "dynamic"
way. His approach to do that with a dns resolution is not the right
approach to solve the issue. Port Knocking is, by far, the best option
to do that. The problem here is...there is no port knocking support in
OpenBSD then the only solution he has in hands is authpf + bruteforce
tables "to defend" itself from the offenders....which, again, is not the
best approach to solve his problem.

Regards,

       Alvaro