On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 09:48:52PM -0800, Jonathan Rogers wrote:
> Trying to set up a new telco fiber connection on my OpenBSD router/
> firewall (this is an OLD box with OpenBSD 3.8 on it...sorry). I can't
> put the new telco connection live as the default yet, because it will
> affect all users, and I need to do some testing first. But I'm not
> quite sure I (a) understand if I've got PPPoE set up correctly, or (b)
> if I do but my existing pf firewall rules are affecting the test. In
> any
> case, I can't get it to work.
>

> pppoe0: flags=8850<POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1492
>         dev: xl2 state: session
>         sid: 0xa2e9 PADI retries: 1 PADR retries: 0 time: 00:00:27
>         groups: pppoe
>         inet 215.34.235.30 --> 0.0.0.1 netmask 0xffffffff

Your pppoe0 is not functional. It did not correctly negotiate a session
and is not UP. Did you check with ifconfig pppoe0 debug that the IPCP
phase of ppp was successful? Normaly 0.0.0.1 should be changed to the real
destination IP when the connection is established also the interface
should be UP-ed by pppoe(4).
There were quite a few fixes in pppoe(4) and sppp(4) over the last 5
years.

--
:wq Claudio