On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 7:18 AM, Surinder Kumar <
surinder.ku...@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> On Ubuntu-14.04, I got error Application Server couldn't be contacted:
>
> *Steps performed:*
>
>    - I have already installed pgAdmin4-1.4 which come with PostgreSQL-9.6
>    installer.
>    then I run root@ubuntu:/opt/PostgreSQL/9.6/pgAdmin 4/bin# ./pgAdmin4./.
>    - Now took latest git pull from HEAD
>    - Apply unified_config.diff patch.
>    - Then compiled pgAdmin4 in runtime and then run ./pgAdmin.
>    - Got error Application Server couldn't be contacted.
>
> But when I ran ./pgAdmin4 for the second time. pgAdmin4 runs without any
> issue.
> I didn’t get any error on the terminal and log file.
> ​ I couldn't find why it gives this error.​

I know Fahar has run into this with existing releases on Ubuntu. If you
enable debugging, can you see any clues? I assume it's going round the
retry loop before aborting?

> *Another issue related to Alembic:*
>
> If I am running pgAdmin4 already installed on my machine, then I upgrade
> pgAdmin4 using Python wheel:
>
> (test_p27) surinder@ubuntu:~/virtualenvs/test_p27$ python
> ~/virtualenvs/test_p27/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pgadmin4/pgAdmin4.py
>
> *I am getting error:*
>
> alembic.util.exc.CommandError: Can't locate revision identified by
> 'd85a62333272'
>
> To fix this, I have to delete existing pgadmin4.db file. I don’t know if
> it is a valid case or should I log an RM if it is?

That's an annoying side-effect of the move to Alembic. The previous DB code
would quite happily (and intentionally) run with a newer version of the
database, however, the new code does not. You'll see this issue whenever
you've run a newer version of pgAdmin and then go back to an older version
that uses an older schema version.

It would be nice to change this so it doesn't complain - but we'd have to
be cautious to only break compatibility on major releases.

> Apart for this, I didn’t see any functionality break. It works!!
>
> I liked the approach to set SEVER_MODE in runtime using built-ins.

Thanks. Do you think it warrants a 2.0 version number, given the potential
for breaking existing installations (I do, but would like other feedback)?
If we do that - and thus allow a parallel installation of 1.x and 2.x), how
would we resolve the Alembic issue you noted such that both versions could
be run against the same DB?