Hi Dave,

On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 2:28 PM, Dave Page <dp...@pgadmin.org> wrote:

> Anyone object to doing a release on 14th September, wrapping the code on
> Monday 11th? This seems like the best option for our QA folks who will be
> off for EID somewhen in the two weeks before.
>
> Assuming not, should this be 1.7 or 2.0?
>
> If we go with 2.0, it'll be for "safety" given the proposed changes to
> path management to allow both server and desktop modes to work out of the
> box on Linux.
>
> If we do that, we also need to ensure that any changes to the config
> database are backwards compatible, as a 2.0 release would be a side-by-side
> installation. Surinder; was it you that had looked into that?

​I had looked into this and here are my findings:
1. If we are using newer version of pgAdmin and the go back to older
version of pgAdmin, then on running `python pgAdmin4.py`. the
flask-migrate(Alembic) try to perform downgrade by one step only(ie. it can
switch back to one migration only when we run  `python pgAdmin4.py`). But
we have multiple database revisions to be migrated. So migration fails here.

2. When Alebmic downgrade is performed by one step, it looks for downgrade
function in that specific database revision, but in our code we didn't
written downgrade function. But if we have written downgrade statement,
still there is an issue:
ie. If we add a new column to a table xyz using ALTER statement like:

​```
​
def upgrade():
​    ​
verison = get_version()

​    ​
db.engine.execute(
​        ​
'ALTER TABLE server ADD COLUMN hostaddr TEXT(1024)'
​     ​
)

def downgrade():
​    ​
pass
​```​
then on downgrade it executes `downgrade` method, so downgrade should have
code like
`ALTER TABLE server DROP COLUMN hostaddr `
but in sqlite DROP COLUMN statements don't work.
So, this is a an issue with Sqlite database. However, an alternative way is
also given. Here is link
<https://stackoverflow.com/questions/5938048/delete-column-from-sqlite-table>

Still, I didn't find any other solution on upgrading/downgrading database
revisions without errors.
It is an issue with Flask-Migrate(Alembic) plugin.