Hi

On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 3:33 PM, Robert Eckhardt <reckha...@pivotal.io>
wrote:

> All,
>
> Currently we are starting to get a fair number of users leveraging
> pgAdmin 4. Because of this we are finding new issues with Greenplum we
> didn't previously know about and we would like to get the fixes for
> those issues out as soon as possible.
>
> The current release process is shrouded in a bit of darkness for us so
> I'm not sure what this ask even entails.

I'm actively working on a buildfarm for doing automated official releases
that folks other than I will have access to. Current status:

- Jenkins host up and running
- Automated dependency builds of zlib, OpenSSL and PostgreSQL running on
Windows (just pgAdmin to go)
- Automated dependency builds of OpenSSL and PostgreSQL running on macOS (just
pgAdmin to go)
- Automated dependency builds of PostgreSQL running on Linux
- All test suites (JS linter and tests, Python PEP-8, unit/API and feature
tests), components (message catalogs, docs, Qt4 & Qt5 runtime builds) and
builds of pgAdmin (source, Python wheel) running on Linux and being tested
against PG 9.3 - 10 and EPAS 9.4 - 10. I have had a (singular) successful
feature test run, but most of the time they just time out at the moment.

Once I have all the builds working as required for each platform, I intend
to have them run regularly, and then setup smaller, targeted builds that
will just produce the distribution packages on demand.

> Ask: what can we do to accelerate the release process? Can we help
> automate builds or reduce the QA load or anything like that?
>
> Ideally we'd like to be releasing weekly, how can we move in that
> direction?

Right now we're still relying far too much on Fahar's manual testing for
that to be a reality. He covers a lot of platform-specific tests on
different distros with every release that often pickup showstoppers.

I think the best way forward would be to continue with the Electron work so
we can get away from using the browser in Desktop mode, and then once we
have a stable and consistent desktop mode, continue to work on improving
test coverage to minimise reliance on Fahar.

Thanks.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com