Hi Andreas,

hope I won't mess you with a known one...

Andreas Pflug wrote:

Raphaël Enrici wrote:

can one of you confirm that error messages displayed under the SQL query window are generated by the PostgreSQL backend and not by pgAdmin III ?

That's correct, everything in the message tab and in case of problems in the status line is from the backend.

Ok,
Ricardo Pérez López (CCed) reported a strange behaviour about two days ago concerning error messages not displayed at all while using a [EMAIL PROTECTED] locale under debian. The detail of the bug can be found here:

The problem appears while playing with locales and trying to query a non existent table:
select * from doesnotexist; in the SQL Query window.

Here is where I am with it:
a)
put [EMAIL PROTECTED] in postgresql.conf
export LC_ALL=POSIX ; /etc/init.d/postgresql restart
open a new terminal without changing anything to you normal locale settings, launch pgadmin3 and retry your test... The error message should appear correctly in spanish.
b)
leave [EMAIL PROTECTED] in postgresql.conf then do this
export [EMAIL PROTECTED] ; /etc/init.d/postgresql restart
open a new terminal without changing anything to you normal locale settings, launch pgadmin3 and retry your test... The error message *DOES NOT* appear correctly in spanish.

What makes me think it is not a backend bug is that everything runs well if I do the same thing with psql (I mean I have the expected error message in Spanish). The problem seems to occur only in pgAdmin III.

I've tried a recent snapshot with no luck. Nothing particular in pgAdmin3 logs.

It seems something is broken somewhere but I can't discover what and where. Can someone reproduce this on another distro ? Any further idea ?

Regars,
Raphaël