Hi

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020 at 8:17 PM Joseph <remid0d...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Looks like the last time this might have been mentioned is 2016? Or not,
> don't know; I just started following this list.
>
> I don't *think*, but I could very well be totally wrong, that it would be
> hard to persist the arrangement and contents of query tabs across sessions.
> There are several local storage options ...?

Persisting the tabs and their contents isn't overly hard.

Persisting the session configuration is much harder. Consider for example,
that you ran a SET search_path = ... query, and then wrote a complex update
script in its place. We reopen the tab with the query, but that doesn't
include the SET search_path = ..., you then run the query forgetting about
that point, and you've suddenly blown away a bunch of data by mistake.

There is real potential here for effectively handing people a loaded foot
gun. We'd need to think carefully about whether it's feasible to recreate
the same session configuration, or if/when/how to warn people that they may
need to do that themselves.

> I have to copy all my queries (which become quite complicated) into
> something like Notepad+ or vim before closing the window. Kind of a pain,
> as everyone knows.

Or just save them?

--
Dave Page