I don’t know if it’s even a good idea to change that functionality. When I’m
working on performance issues, I very well may put a very complicated SQL
statement with several sub-selects in the window, and start with just one of
the sub-selects to see what it’s performance issues might be. So it’s not
unusual to select a piece of a statement and execute it.

The behavior described by Tung Do is really just a learning step.