On Fri, May 14, 2021 at 5:32 PM Michael Shapiro <mshapir...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I tried this. I created a sequence, and ran last_value, then nextval,
> repeatedly. last_value always returned 20 until nextval returned 21, then
> last_value returned 40 and kept returning 40 until nextval returned 41, etc.

Weird things can happen with sequences (well, they look weird sometimes -
actually they're the behaviour people want in real world applications), due
to caching and different sessions. What does "select * from <sequence>"
show? And how were you running those queries, both in terms of pgAdmin vs.
psql etc. and transaction control?