Hi

On Thu, 3 Mar 2022 at 17:24, Garrett Simpson <elgaric...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Dave,
> Appreciate the quick response!
> Definitely have Impish...
>
> garrett@garrett-external:/etc$ lsb_release -cd
> Codename: impish
>
> garrett@garrett-external:/etc$ lsb_release -cs
> impish
>
> But for some reason I don't have  the os-release directory:
>
> garrett@garrett-external:/etc$ cd /etc/os-release
> bash: cd: /etc/os-release: Not a directory

Right, that message means that there's something on the filesystem with
that name, but it's not a directory - which is as expected; os-release is a
text file.

> I think what probably happened is when I was initially stuck, and trying
> to run pgadmin4 from the terminal, not seeing anything happen, and thinking
> it was not fully installed when it was, I started monkeying around with the
> urls in /etc/apt/sources.list.d to try uninstalling and reinstalling past
> releases, following a bit too blindly things I found searching online...
>
> garrett@garrett-external:/etc/apt/sources.list.d$ ls
> deadsnakes-ubuntu-ppa-impish.list  pgadmin4.list.save  pgdg.list.save
> pgadmin4.list                      pgdg.list
>

> Looking at pgadmin4.list.save , I see I had at least tried to use hirsute
> 's repo:
>
> garrett@garrett-external:/etc/apt/sources.list.d$ cat pgadmin4.list.save
>     deb https://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/pgadmin/pgadmin4/apt/hirsute
> pgadmin4 main
>
> I'm thinking this is overriding the correct impish repos, so I'll try
> deleting that file, purging the installation and re-installing:
>
> garrett@garrett-external:/etc/apt/sources.list.d$ ls
>     deadsnakes-ubuntu-ppa-impish.list  pgadmin4.list  pgadmin4.list.save
>  pgdg.list  pgdg.list.save
> garrett@garrett-external:/etc/apt/sources.list.d$ sudo rm
> pgadmin4.list.save
>
> double check that the pgadmin4 sources are correct...
> garrett@garrett-external:/etc/apt/sources.list.d$ ls
>     deadsnakes-ubuntu-ppa-impish.list  pgadmin4.list  pgdg.list
>  pgdg.list.save
> garrett@garrett-external:/etc/apt/sources.list.d$ cat pgadmin4.list
>   deb https://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/pgadmin/pgadmin4/apt/focal pgadmin4
> main
>
> ^ok definitely the problem...should fix that....
>
> garrett@garrett-external:/etc/apt/sources.list.d$ sudo sed -i
> 's/focal/impish/g' ./pgadmin4.list
> garrett@garrett-external:/etc/apt/sources.list.d$ cat ./pgadmin4.list
>   deb https://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/pgadmin/pgadmin4/apt/impish pgadmin4
> main
>
> uninstall pgadmin4
> garrett@garrett-external:/etc/apt/sources.list.d$ sudo apt purge pgadmin4
> garrett@garrett-external:/etc/apt/sources.list.d$ sudo apt autoremove
>
> reinstall pgadmin4
> garrett@garrett-external:/etc/apt/sources.list.d$ sudo apt update && sudo
> apt install pgadmin4
>
> And now it works fine

Yes, using the wrong repo would certainly account for the Python version
mismatch.

> So you were right, apologies for the self inflicted goose chase -- but
> definitely learned a lot in the process!

:-). Glad it's working now!

--
Dave Page
Blog: https://pgsnake.blogspot.com