Dear Denis,

you are absolutely right, multi-axis support is lacking a suitable
interface.

A modification of this sort has been planned a long time ago... although
it has not been started yet.

Thanks for the clarification on the keys which should be respected.

If you feel comfortable (enough) to experiment a bit, you could try to
create a doubleaxis environment (or even some multiaxis environment)?

It might be a little bit simpler, though, if you would reuse the
existing axis environment... perhaps like

\begin{multiaxis}
\begin{axis}[multiaxis position=left, ...]
\end{axis}

\begin{axis}[multiaxis position=right, ...]
\end{axis}
\end{multiaxis}

otherwise you would need to replicate almost every key...

or perhaps using

\begin{multiaxis}[first axis/.style={xlabel=...}, second
axis/.style={xlabel=....}, multiaxis style=leftright]

\addplot {x2};
\addplot {3*x};
\legend{$y=x2$,$y=3x$}
\end{multiaxis}
\end{tikzpicture}

I might not be able to address this issue in the next weeks, perhaps not
before next year.

If you want to, you can try to experiment a bit - perhaps you can come
up with a solution which addresses the most important requirements.

Best regards

Christian