Tom Lane wrote:
"Spiegelberg, Greg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

It's come to our attention that in 14-16 days our OID's will wrap around and
we need some advice.

Are you actually using the OIDs for anything?  If not, don't worry about
it.

We use OID's to store files in the database. Does that qualify?

Unless you are actually depending on OIDs to be unique in some of your
user tables, wraparound shouldn't matter.  The only possible bad
consequence is that you might once in a while get a collision in the
system tables (eg, a CREATE TABLE fails because the OID generated for
the table conflicts with an existing table).  The odds of that are small
enough that it's probably not going to be as much of a problem as a
dump/reload would be.  Just retry the transaction and it'll usually
work the next time.

Retrying the transaction isn't something we want to worry about. Our code doesn't have that capability built into it.

I read a mailing list article from a while back and there was mentioned in
it the possibility of OID's becoming a INT8.  Does this exist in any of the
new versions?

Greg

--
Greg Spiegelberg